To add new solutions, please open a pull request, issue or contact me directly.
Sorted by appearance from installation (top) to gameplay (bottom).
Launcher: Game download issues
Download timeout, stuck at 0%:
- Sep/Oct 2020 launcher bug. Download the newest version and retry
Download works but launcher freezes/crashes midway:
- Use the custom Update & Patch Script as an alternative to the official launcher
- Caused by bad error handling in
launcher.exe and a blocked domain
- See Issue#28 for solutions
Launcher: Useless voiceover packs get downloaded
For slow download connections, you might not want to download everything. Steps to skip downloading unwanted voiceover/language packs:
- Locate the file
* stands for the newest) inside your game data files
- Remove the unwanted pack lines (except maybe
- Navigate to
- Remove the pack directories that are no longer contained within
- Proceed to download the archives
Launcher: Failed to unzip game files
- Check for launcher updates
/path/to/Genshin Impact Game/config.ini
- Adjust the line
game_version=X.X.X to the currently installed version
- Re-run the launcher to install the update
Alternatively: re-download the entire game. See Issue#28 for direct links.
Game does not start at all
- Check & update the game version in the official launcher
- Apply the patches as described in
Lutris: 'find.exe' cannot be found, notepad opens on start
notepad.exe opens on launch, displaying an error message.
Some Lutris Wine packages prior to the version "lutris-6.4" either refuse to run those applications or do not ship them in first place.
Try another package, such as Proton or stock/vanilla Wine.
For more details, see Issue#78.
Game crashes on launch
- Ensure the patch is applied
- Retry without kernel sync (ESYNC, FSYNC, ...)
- Lutris: disable "Lutris Runtime" (for reference)
Game no longer works on Windows
- This is intentional to avoid abuse of this project
- If you are Dual-Booting, write a batch script to swap the game files as needed
StartThreadpoolIo not found in KERNEL32.dll
- Use Wine 5.3 or newer. This function has been added recently.
- For more details, see Issue#12.
Freeze when loading game data
Unknown cause. Please submit ideas to Issue#90
- Ensure that an audio output device is enabled
- Run the game using
??? cmd /c launcher.bat -nolog
- Try another graphics driver or setup a clean, new WINEPREFIX
White screen freeze when entering the door
... plus error log "err:virtual:virtual_setup_exception stack overflow".
Starting from version 1.2.0, this error reappears a few days after each release. It is caused by server-sent bytecode.
Crash when initially loading the world (7 symbols)
Rare occurrence related to an audio failure. Observed in Wine 5.22 and newer.
- Restart the game
- Check for music and button sound effects
Crash after a few seconds in-game
error.log message containing
HID.DLL caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
This error is caused by (at least) Wine 6.10 when using a controller.
- Either: change to another Wine version (for example 6.9)
- Or: switch to keyboard & mouse.
DumpFile-zfbrowser*.dmp is generated
First found in Wine 6.10. Other versions might not crash the Chromium framework (zf_cef).
In-game browser looks weird or crashes the game
- Ubuntu/Debian: install
- Re-install dxvk (if present)
- Try running the game in a virtual desktop
Other font installations might work as well as long Fontconfig can use them as fallback.
- Ignore and restore the game window
- For input issues: try the virtual desktop (see below)
For more details, see Issue#29.
Check whether your GPU supports Vulkan: unofficial list, Intel, nVIDIA, AMD
- Custom script:
- Download winetricks
export WINEPREFIX=/absolute/path/ (if needed)
- Install the DLL package
dxvk (newest, or 1.7.3 for Proton 5.13)
- Lutris: Configure -> Runner options -> "Enable DXVK" and specify the version
- Proton: See setup instructions
- PlayOnLinux: (outdated DXVK?)
- Configure game -> Install components -> [Latest DXVK version]
Mouse/keyboard input issues
- Adjust the following resolution numbers to your needs
wine explorer /desktop=anyname,1920x1080 cmd /c launcher.bat (system-wide Wine)
- Steam + Proton: See setup instructions
- Runner options -> Enable virtual desktop
Without a virtual desktop: (experimental)
- winecfg -> Check "Automatically capture the mouse in full-screen windows"
- regedit ->
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\X11 Driver set REG_SZ
- Lutris already does this by default.
See also: search engine query
unity wine focus
Alt + Mouse click not working
- Workaround: Disable the window move & resize feature
- Same solution as in the
causes view to "spin" issue below
Switching between workspaces causes the view to "spin"
Change the in-game resolution setting:
- Focus the (virtual) desktop
- Focus the game window again
- Change the resolution back to fullscreen
Alternative: use Proton.
Wrong window resolution
- Append following arguments after
-screen-width XXX -screen-height YYY -screen-fullscreen 1
-show-screen-selector to change the settings on startup
- Alternative: change the virtual desktop's size (if present)
- Alternative: use regedit to change the keys in
See also: Unity CLI args
Weak graphics, slow game
Moved to TWEAKS.md